Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Black sediment in tap water
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black sediment in tap water
 Login/Join 
posted
We recently moved into a house that was built in 1968. We've noticed that our tap water is often cloudy and black sediment settles to the bottom of our drinking glasses. I've also found sediment in the bath tub. It seems to happen when the water is warm/hot. Our water heater is 14 years old. Is the water heater the most likely cause of the problem?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be. Are you on a well or city?

General Contractor/Home Builder

Posts: 498 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are on the city's water system. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

posted Hide Post
I guess the only thing I can think of is the sacrificial anode in your water heater. Basically it's job is to act as a scapegoat for the corroding elements in your hot water. It attracts the elements to itself so that it doesn't rust other parts of the water heater.

Sometimes on old water heaters they've had about enough and start to disintegrate. 14 years is really pushing it on a water heater anyway. I would consider having a new one installed.

General Contractor/Home Builder

Posts: 498 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Jay!