Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Water draining from the sink into the dishwasher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water draining from the sink into the dishwasher
 Login/Join 
posted
Need help! My dishwasher is constantly getting water from the sink in it. The pump was changed in the dishwasher and it still is doing the same thing. Any idea why it is back up into the dishwasher. Is this something that I can fix or do I need a plumber?

Thanks.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This can be caused by one tow or three things or the combo of both.
1st off the drain hose for the dishwasher must go up and over the height of the dishwasher at least then back down to the drain connection.
2nd the dishwasher (by code in many areas) must be connected to a air emmiter device. This little thing is typically a chrome device located on the counter next to the sink that allows air into the drain pipe but keeps water from leaking out. This prevents the drain water from draining back though siphon action from the sink into the dishwasher.
3rd. If the drain connection is after the trap on the sink there is no way for air to enter the drain line to break the siphon action. The drain line connection whould be on the tail pipe of the sink before the water goes into the trap.
Both 1 & 2 are and easy fix. Not to costly. The third can be little harder if space is limited below the sink.
You can pick up a new longer hose that may have been cut shorter when the washer was installed and an air emitter device at any appliance supply store. Do not even bother going to the big box stores as they will not have what you need in most cases.
Drill a hole in the counter fasten the emmiter device into it. Connect the dishwasher hose to the device then conect the other side of the emmiter to the drain line. Problem fixed!
If you cannot find the emmiter, try at least to bring the hose up the bottom of the counter then back down to the sink. That may help but not always.
You should if the drain line is after the trap re-configure the pipe to allow connection to before the trap. Without the emitter device installed and having the drain line connection after the trap. You will find that when draining the sink you can suck the water out of the dishwasher.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Adam. I removed the hose and raised it above the garbage disposer and cleaned out the debris in there. I have not seen any water since. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Thank you Home Care Club. I took of the hose and lifted above the garbage disposer and I have not had any water all week.

Thanks again. Cool