Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    black water in toilet tank, oder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

black water in toilet tank, oder
 Login/Join 
posted
All day I have been scrubbing, and looking for the source of the oder in my guest bathroom. Tonight I found that the water in the tank is dark, almost black and underneath the tank there is a black mold growing --about the area of a quarter that I can wipe off but I can see that it is moldy between the tank and the toilet. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LA Marlowe
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the water is stagnant from the guest bath not being used. Just clean the visible mold and flush the toilet occasionally. I'm not a fan of those inside-the-tank chemicals but a small splash of liquid bleach added to the tank will keep the water fresher longer. I doubt if that is the source of the odor though. If the bath has been sitting unused then it is likely that the water has evaporated from the sink and or tub traps, letting in sewage gases. Run some water in both of those and let the room air out and see if that helps.

Posts: 273 | Location: VA, AL, GA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray with bleach or any bath cleaner with mold cleaner in it. Take a bottle brush to scrub between the space.
The reason for this is condensate on the tank. It gets wet during the times when the cold water enters into the tank and the warm are inside the house condenses on the walls. Dust that collects on the bottom of the tank then mold grows this dust. If you keep the tank clean, mold will not grow on the porcelain surface.
You can purchase chlorine tabs to use in the tank that should help the tank inside from getting black.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post