Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Knocking Sound Near Water Heater
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knocking Sound Near Water Heater
 Login/Join 
posted
My water heater (AO Smith – GAS 75 GAL) is about 14 months old and my house is probably about the same. I hear a knocking sound close by the water heater closet which is accessible from the outside. This knocking sound happens randomly but I noticed more often or whenever someone is using hot water.
Sometimes it's a fast knocking sound (twice every second) sometimes it's slow, like one knock every two seconds. Sometimes it's even slower like one knock every 15 seconds or 30 seconds. More often, it starts fast then slows down. I can't seem to find where it's actually coming from but it seems from the inside of the water heater. I've also flushed my tank twice now and not much build-up that came out either. My hot water pipes are all insulated and I notice this only happens during the cold December weather in Los Angeles, which is not really that cold compared to East Coast Weather - about 40s to 50s here in LA. PLEASE HELP, it's driving me crazy...
Is this a water heater problem or a plumbing problem?

Posts: 13 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LA Marlowe
posted Hide Post
It is possible. The heat trap nipple will look identical to a regular iron pipe nipple from the outside. Knocking can be a bear to track down, even for a professional plumber. If you google "water heater knocking" you will see a host of possible causes and solutions ranging from sediment, or air, to a tight spot in the piping or a baffle in the flue pipe. I wish you luck!

Posts: 273 | Location: VA, AL, GA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps its sand or silt at the bottom of the hot water heater. This causes air to be generated within the tank to bubble when heated. What happens is like when you boil water on the stove. If you place a few grains of sand on the bottom of the pot you will see air bubbles forming out of them like magic. Your hot water heater collects sand and silt on the bottom which causes this to happen as well. The side of the hot water heater has a drain valve. Its very reason is to flush out the bottom of the tank. In fact if you live in a area in which you have fire plugs in the street, you see them flush them once and a while. This is to flush out any sand an silt that gets into the water system. When they do this they disturb the water and the silt ends up in your pipes.
Check with the papers that came with the hot water heater, they recommend that you flush this tank once a year.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you LLC and LA Marlowe. Yes, I have flushed this tank already (twice) and no difference and Marlowe is right, there are several different reasons for this knocking sound. However, I do believe that it has something to do with Metal Fatigue because I notice that it only happens during the cold weather season. I guess if I can't solve it now, I'll just have to wait until it gets a little warmer again and see if it disappears.
Last night when I was out and checking though, I really felt that sound/vibration emulating from the pipe attached to the hot water tank where the hot water comes out to supply the house.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the outlet pipe route to see if a pipe hanger or strap has the pipe bound up. As the pipe expands, it may be rubbing against a joist or a hole through a wall plate.

Posts: 245 | Location: Annville, PA | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCF -

Did you ever find a reason for this? I have the same water heater and have been encountering exactly the same issue!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knocking sounds in water heaters are caused by sand and sediment particals on the bottom of the heater. Very common condition caused by owner not flushing the heater yearly. It is also a sign that the heater is near its last days and should be changed. Also be carefull not to keep the water to hot as this can make the noise worse.
Only way to fix this is to replace the heater with a new one and be sure to flush heater at least once a year.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post