Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  ProZone  Hop To Forums  Contractor Stories    Laminate Floor Installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminate Floor Installation
 Login/Join 
posted
I don't really have a contractor story but a question. I had just had a professional contractor install laminate floors in the majority of my home, and they did a very good job. In a very small area upstairs, the floor squeaks a little. I need to know if this is usually due to poor installtion or a flaw with the floor. I want to contact the contractor, but I want to be prepared and don't want to make a big stink if it's not the installers fault. I'm also wondering if it's not the contractors fault, if it's expensive to have them fix it. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The squeak could be coming from the subfloor, or the laminate floor. I had a situation in the last house where the installer didn't put down the foam underlayment in part of the room because he ran out, and was too cheap or lazy to go get more. The floor moved about a 1/4" up and down, and that's alot.

Also, it's possible that the floor was put in "too tight" in that area, and it's creating undo friction. If the floor has had time to acclimate to the house environment, then part of the floor may need to be trimmed, if it's installed too tight.

I'm assuming this is a quick-lock floor, as opposed to a tongue and groove, glued floor. If its a glued seam floor, the installer may have missed gluing a joint or 2.

Hope this helps a little.
good luck.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post