Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Insulation    Red Top Insulating wool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Top Insulating wool
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi,
My wife and I are doing some reno's in our house. It's a 1.5 storey, with the upper floor being added to the house sometime after WW2 (House built in 1918).
We're mainly tearing out the ugly tile ceiling and imitation wood paneling, adding insulation, new drywall where is needed, and some lighting.

After ripping off everything, we're down to the old drywall. I went in the crawlspace behing this drywall to see how everything looked. In there is lots of pink insulation, and also bags of insulation called:
Red Top Insulating Wool blanket
It is made by Canadian Gypsum Company, which these days is part of US Gypsum Company.

Anyone know if this stuff contains asbestos or other harmful materials? I called USGC's safety line but have not heard back yet.

Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, Prolab and Reliable lab is the same company. Although both not very good, they should be able to provide the necessary information for the average homeowner.

Any lab that provides information on the results other then what was found goes beyond proper protocol. A proper lab should only provide the results of what was sampled, not tell you the conclusion if you have an issue or not. Its up to the person who takes the sample to determine this or not.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to follow-up on my earlier post, my results indicated that the insulation in my attic (Red Top Insulating Wool Blanket by the Canadian Gypsum Company) did not contain asbestos (e.g. Asbestos: none detected ... 95% mineral wool and 5% binding agents).

I was very happy with the service of Pro Lab. Highly recommended.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats good news for you and your family. Glad your asbestos free!

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post