Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Insulation    insulation options for bilco door?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

insulation options for bilco door?
 Login/Join 
posted
i have a metal bilco door extension hanging off the back of my house. in the winter the cold air blows through the cracks where the doors meet and the cold seeps through the metal as well. any recommendations on providing a seasonal sealer for the door cracks and also for insulating the interior metal portions? thanks.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There should be a conventional door at the bottom of the steps under the Bilco door, and that is where the weather barrier should be. The Bilco door is not designed to be a weather barrier, and any attempt to make it so would be the epitome of jury-rigging.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is no conventional door. the metal bilco door has 2 parts that meet in the middle. they lay roughly at a 45 degree angle and are connected at the hinges to a metal frame that sits on top of the concrete block foundation which is about 5'x4'x4'. a hole was punched into the foundation to build this extension. one idea is to build a conventional door where the foundation was punched but i don't have time for that and winter is fast approaching. last winter this area was letting a considerable amount of cold into the basement and making its way into the rest of the house. thanks.

posted Hide Post
I understand your problem and am quite familiar with Bilco doors. What I would do in your case is frame a temporary wall across the foundation opening and insulate that. There is no good or easy way to weatherproof a Bilco door. If you need access, build a door into the temporary partition. It will be easier than trying to jury-rig something onto the Bilco door.

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks richard. how's this for an idea? install 2 2x3 studs on each side of the opening that would extend up to the sill that runs across the top. i could nail these into the cement then get a custom pre-hung door and just nail in. if i don't want to do the pre-hung door right now what are my options a piece of drywall or foamboard? thanks.

posted Hide Post
Depends whether you need frequent access or not. If you do, an insulated fiberglass door would make sense. If not, then a piece of two-inch styrofoam board would be appropriate, which could be simply taped in place.

posted Hide Post
i ended up purchasing a 1 inch piece of foam board (rated R 6.5 insulation) and duct taped it in place. hope this does the trick but i won't really know how effective it is until it gets real cold out. thanks.