Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Insulation    Insulating an newly enclosed porch ceiling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insulating an newly enclosed porch ceiling
 Login/Join 
posted
My house was built in 1982 with a lean to porch. I enclosed the porch and now need to insulate the roof on the porch. The ceiling consists of 2 x 6 rafters with open perlin and a metal roof on top. I need to insulate between the rafters but the ceiling is already low and I can't drop it down enough to provide a proper vent space above the insulation.

My thought was to remove the metal roof, add decking and tar paper then 2 x 4 perlins on top of tar paper and then a metal roof. I would then add 6" of insulation between the rafters. Would this give me enough air gap between the roof and insulation? Since this is a lean to porch, there is no way to let air out at the peak of the roof. I live in central Texas and the temp. gets over 100 degrees in the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your location in Texas would require about R-25 to R-30 insulation in the ceiling of this 'porch'.

All you need do is install 5" of rigid foam insulation between the rafters of the porch roof on the inside...and be done with it.

Posts: 453 | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you really need an air gap even in Texas? In the north we usually compromise ventilation for better insulation (such as near the wall top plates) if there aren't other cost effective options. I know roofers cry about this but in reality few older homes have active soffit vents and have never had problems with moisture or condensation in the winter, but they almost always have ice damming from lack of insulation.

Good stuff about all this at: www.startinsulating.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: 06 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where would you find 5" foam insulation in Texas? I have a similar problem...
Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post