Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Insulation    Does insulation go bad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does insulation go bad?
 Login/Join 
Picture of Solon Homeowner
posted
I have a crawl space that is on the second floor of our home. The ceiling of the crawl space is the roof of the home, so it obviously has no insulation on it, so the crawl space is very cold and very hot depending on the time of year. The wall between the crawl space and the living space outside the crawl space has insulation on it. The insulation appears to be old (dark gray color) but for the most part is solid and intact with the exception of a few spots. The insulation is covered with a sheet, probably to keep air from coming in direct contact with the insulation. I don't know if the insulation is thick enough or is still working but I don't want to go to the effort of putting new insulation up if this will not fix the problem.
I know this is tough for anyone to answer without actually seeing the situation, but at this point I could use any advice available. The room is above our garage also but the temperatures get so extreme in that room that I am convinced the crawl space is the source of the problem. Thanks.

Posts: 80 | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please clarify your description. You say the ceiling of the crawl space is the roof of your home...does that mean you have a flat roof? Or is the crawl space a low attic under a pitched roof?

Anyway, the insulation should be in the floor of the crawl space, which is the ceiling of the room below.

Insulation does not generally go bad, at least modern insulation doesn't. But I worry about the "sheet" that you say is installed over the insulation...what is this sheet made of? If it's plastic film, you either have two vapor retarders, or one vapor retarder in the wrong place, and THAT could definitely affect the insulation by trapping moisture in it.

Wet insulation has almost no insulating value at all, so we need to allow it to dry if it becomes moist, and we do that by ventilation. The "crawl space" above the ceiling also should be ventilated...so if it isn't. then that might be contributing to this and other problems.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Solon Homeowner
posted Hide Post
The crawl space is a low attic. Basically a second attic on the second floor of the home if you want to think of it that way. It is right off of one of the bedrooms of the home on the second floor.

There is insullation in the floor already and actually all over the crawl space. My concern is why the room attached to this crawl space is so cold, hence why I think it may be the insulation on that wall.

The sheet covering the insulation is like a bed sheet. As I already mentioned, the insulation, for the most part is still in a pretty solid state, but is a dark gray / brown color while the insulation on the floor and other walls is still pick.

I don't know if the crawl space is vented. Can this be done?

Posts: 80 | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post