Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Insulation    How can I make a semi double wide trailer warmer, how do I insulate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I make a semi double wide trailer warmer, how do I insulate
 Login/Join 
posted
I am a 71 yr old woman living in a semi doublewide trailer (not as long as others)
I am freezing and facing 238.00/212.00 heating bills (electric) weatherization said we were accepted for help but they never showed up. the floors are like ice. Keep the thing set at 70 but it is not 70 in the house?
Can anyone advise me
Thank you. Confused

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot air rises, so you're probably losing all your heat through your roof. Seal up all the little penetrations in your ceiling using caulk or construction tape etc.

Then check your windows: are they double or single pane? If they are double, do they slide past one another? or are they a solid, two-pane unit? If they are solid, they will have a date stamped on the metal frame between the two pieces of glass. If they are older than 1986, or if they are single pane, you'll want to cauk and seal around them, and / or cover them with heavy curtains. Blinds won't cut it. Covering with curtains will also make moisture form on the inside face of the glass, so put something waterproof on the bottom frame to keep them from getting damaged.

How about your doors: do they have a rubber strip all the way around? If not, glue one on.

Next, have someone take out all your electrical switches & light switches and put gaskets around them to keep the wind out.

All that stuff should help until Weatherization arrives.

I'm not special.
I just build that way.

Posts: 40 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the floors are freezing, it makes me suspect that you don't have "skirts" between the trailer floor and the ground. The skirts are usually metal slats held together by a metal frame, but you can wire sturofoam board insulation to the backs of the skirts, and that will probably make a big difference.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you to both of you

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post