Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Design Ideas  Hop To Forums  Baths    ceramic tile over linoleum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ceramic tile over linoleum?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,
I completely gutted out my entire old bathroom in my basement and planning on putting ceramic tile down, but when I went to tear up the linoleum it is not coming up at all it is glued good. There is no bubbles at all and it is smooth everywhere except the corners where its curled up but that part rips right off easily... it has to be more then 15yrs old and under the linoleum is concrete floor... can I just put my ceramic tile right over??? Yes or No?
Thanx,
Vinny

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Vinny-- Actually it's pretty easy to pull that vinyl up. If you go down to a tool rental place, they'll have something called a power vinyl stripper. It's about the size of a lawn edger, and will do a helluva job taking that vinyl up. The most work you'll do is putting it in and taking it out of your truck (or trunk)!!

Under no circumstances would I go over the vinyl.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com

Posts: 135 | Location: Bridgton, Maine | Registered: 18 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going over glued down linoleunm and it is solidly glued down on concrete you can cover it with tile but that is the only time no matter what the home centers want to tell you. We constanly have to make repairs where homeowners put tile down over linoleum that is over wood subfloors or worse yet floating linoleum. I might work some times but probably not.

\
quote:
Originally posted by Vinny:
Hi all,
I completely gutted out my entire old bathroom in my basement and planning on putting ceramic tile down, but when I went to tear up the linoleum it is not coming up at all it is glued good. There is no bubbles at all and it is smooth everywhere except the corners where its curled up but that part rips right off easily... it has to be more then 15yrs old and under the linoleum is concrete floor... can I just put my ceramic tile right over??? Yes or No?
Thanx,
Vinny

Posts: 7 | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather than type it all out, this is copied and pasted from my website's flooring page:

This is a subject that's very hotly debated within the industry. It seems every manufacturer has a thinset that they say can be used over resilient flooring (sheet vinyl) or vinyl tile. The problem with that is twofold. With all the different types of vinyl flooring out now, it's tough to know which ones can, and which ones can't be tiled over. Cushioned vinyl's are out. They can compress, causing voids under the tile, ultimately causing failure. Also, not all sheet vinyl is glued solid to the floor. A lot of times, vinyl installers will only glue the edges and spot glue in the center, and if you thinset the tile to it, it won't stay very long. In my opinion, vinyl tiles are out, as well, due to the fact that the thinset bond is only as good as the bond of the surface under it, and I've seen vinyl tiles ( especially peel and stick) let go way too easily. The same is also true for sheet vinyl. The second problem with tiling over vinyl is the underlayments used for vinyl installation. Normally, in woodframe construction, there are one of several underlayments used-- luan, 1/4" particle board, 1/4" plywood, and sometimes even MDF (medium density fiberboard). ANY of those in a tile subfloor is a guaranteed failure. 1/4" plywood has a nasty habit of delaminating (the layers come apart). Luan has the same problem, plus it can compress to 1/2 its original thickness from normal residential foot traffic (I've seen this happen). Particle board (as well as MDF), just from humidity, can expand enough to pop tile loose. Any of those can cause failure, and unless you pull the vinyl, you don't know for sure whether the vinyl installer just went over the existing subfloor, or added one of the underlayments mentioned. All in all, it's an extremely risky installation, and my question is why, when spending the money it costs for a tile installation, would you want to gamble on it?

Posts: 135 | Location: Bridgton, Maine | Registered: 18 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Vinny

I am doing the same type of project. Did or did you not remove the tile and how?

Thanks...Ron

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill is right in my opinion. I'm not a tile pro, but I have done 6 tile jobs in as many months, the second to last being 250 sqft of 16 inch tiles. Just tried to use polymer modified thinset over super tight sheet vinyl in a bathroom with 8x8 ceramic tiles. They seemed fine, but then I was cleaning a grout joint (aggressively) and the tile came loose. I popped 85% of the tiles up with a prybar. I believe it was the cushioned type Bill refer's too. Since all my other work is still okay, and the only material change to my work was the vinyl, I am inclined to conclude that was the problem. Now I get to do the job again, save yourself the time! Good luck.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
putting lino over floor tiles seems crazy to me. most installers I've met want to put 1/4" underlayment over even a good plywood subfloor,
let alone over ceramic tile. unless you have very low standards, i would avoid contractor 1.

http://www.ciciliotandson.com/index.php

Posts: 36 | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the people in this thread were talking about going i the OTHER direction.