Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Design Ideas  Hop To Forums  Baths    Master Bath Remodel-Tub/Shower Combo or Custom Shower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master Bath Remodel-Tub/Shower Combo or Custom Shower
 Login/Join 
posted
I am in early stages of planning remodel of my master bath, primarily for resale. Space is L-shaped 12' x 10' with room width of 6' in both directions. Existing bathroom has a 6' long, 12" deep sunken tub/shower combo. I am trying to decide if should just remodel with a large, undermount soaking tub, such as Kohler Tea-for-Two tub, and tiled shower surround or construct a large, custom shower with frameless glass shower doors and nice multi-nozzled shower panel. I already have a newly remodeled second bath with a standard tub/tiled surround and also have an 8'x8' outdoor hot tub. Are most buyers expecting a master bath to have a tub and shower or is a large custom shower more desirable?

I would appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this subject.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should stick with a tub in the master bath. Some owners do not want to go to the 2nd bath to take one. I would put in a bubble jet soaking tub then put in a good looking shower.

Depending on the value of your home putting all the fancy milt-nozzle shower panels etc may be a bit overboard. People are not buying your bath they are buying the house. You can go overboard real fast in a bathroom so choose wisely.

People are looking at higher end tiles or at least higher end looking tiles. Lots of light and ventilation to make the room inviting. If your doing the floor put in heat under it. Those are things that will help sell. Choose neutral colors as well. Simple look with a simple boarder works best. If you have room put the shower separate. Clear glass door. Perhaps a steam unit? A few accessories such as this makes it more inviting. Lots of vanity top space. Stone vanity tops would be a good choice. People are looking for pretty, If the rest of the house looks and feels inviting, then they will overlook and in fact not realize that you do not have a fancy shower spray unit in the bath.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Home is 3100 sf on one acre in upscale neighborhood. Home value $450,000. The main problem with having a shower and tub in the bathroom is that it will have to be a combination tub/shower. Unless I move the toilet to an adjacent closet (something I am trying to avoid due to additional cost), there is not enough room to put a separate tub and shower. My initial thought on the remodel was that I needed a tub in the master bath, but a couple of architects I spoke with told me that in today's market, people are looking for nice custom shower first, tub second. I have seen some real nice examples of tub/shower combo using larger 66" or 72" undermount tubs with frameless doors. My main concern with this setup is access in and out of tub since these larger tubs are typically 18"-24" deep. Therefore, to me will a nice tub/shower combo be a better selling point that a large custom shower with no bathtub?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a terrific website that has a lot of information about luxury bathroom fixtures such as sauna steam showers, japanese soaking tubs, walkin bathtubs, etc. Most homeowners put a lot of emphasis on the master bathroom and therefore are looking for the very best. A steam shower is a terrific choice to add value to a home and provide a spa like environment in the bathroom.

Posts: 8 | Location: WV | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post