Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Flooring    Can you tile over linoleum flooring?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you tile over linoleum flooring?
 Login/Join 
posted
I have a 40yr old linoleum floor and want to tile over it. A tile shop has told me to just sand the floor to ruff it up and then tile over it without backer board. Will this really work? Also I have an area in the laundry room where the sub floor was replaced, but doesn't have an linoleum in that place and the surface is has 2 different thickness. This same tile shop told me to buy leveling compound to even out the floor and then tile. Is this information correct?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want to take that floor down to the subfloor, and rebuild from there. Some will tell you to install cement board right over the vinyl, but I don't agree with that, especially with older floors. No matter WHAT you do, I certainly wouldn't go directly over vinyl, and especially filling holes with self leveling compound-- you you have two different substrates, each with their own rate of expansion and contraction. You can bet that floor would be a goner before spring was over.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com

Posts: 135 | Location: Bridgton, Maine | Registered: 18 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill is right about this. Here's an article written by an excellent tile professional that goes into details about this issue: Ceramic & Stone Tile Over Vinyl Flooring

R'gards,

Jim

Posts: 3 | Location: The real Northern California | Registered: 02 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing you don't want to do is sand old linoleum, it can be asbestos based, and sanding will really kick it up.

Randy Will

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Randy (and maybe ss) are calling "linoleum" is actually vinyl flooring, which often contained asbestos (until about 15 years ago, I believe). Linoleum is actually an older flooring product made of wood dust, linseed oil, jute and other natural materials. Because linoleum is being manufactured again, I think it's important to use the proper terms. True linoleum does not contain asbestos.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My linoluem was indeed tiled over and I have had no problem what so ever with it. You will have to either use the leveling medium to make the floors the same hieght or put plywood in the area where it doesnt match. Depending on the difference in the height. When using plywood you need it nailed every 4" to 6" so it will hold. my tile has been down over the linoleum for 15 years with no problems. However the linoleum was glued down extremely well prior to laying the tile.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 31 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the topic of removing Lino before tiling, I will be doing a kitchen floor and partial hallway.
Is it possible to just remove the old Lino or will the subfloor (plywood or MDF) come up with it?
How long does it take to remove the lino with the suggested tool rental? The space I am flooring is about 2000sq ft.
Thanks so much!
CB

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post