Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  Flooring    Hardwood Floor. Water coming up???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood Floor. Water coming up???
 Login/Join 
posted
I bought a condo about 11 months ago. Today I got home from work and noticed standing water in the middle of my hardwood floor. I cleaned it up, checked about an hour later and their was more standing water. It is literally in the middle of the floor no where near any plumbing or entrances. It has been rainy in my area for a couple of days, but nothing extreme. I'm guessing there is a leak somewhere else and showing up in the middle of the floor. I have contacted the building developers and have not heard from them. So my questions are how do I find where the leak is?

Posts: 1 | Location: chicago | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What floor is the water on...basement, first floor, second floor? What are the walls of that floor made of? How old is the condo, and how old is the roof? What kind of roof is it? Flat? Pitched? Are there any intersecting roofs or chimneys? Is the floor that has the water level, or is it low in the middle? Is it a concrete floor, or is it framed in wood?

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the floor on grade level? Put down over concrete? Water is coming up from under the floor unless you have a dog you do not know about.
There can be several factors that cause this.
Snow melt and higher water tables can be one issue. Another can be a broken pipe under the floor somewere in that area. Regardless of what the cause is, the floor will have to be torn up to fix it. Once water gets under the wood and stays there for over 48 hours mold begins to develop and then the problems start. Push the assocation hard on this one. The longer the wait to address this, the more costly it will end up being.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post