Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Exterior Finishes    Icicles on wood siding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Icicles on wood siding
 Login/Join 
Picture of Solon Homeowner
posted
Just this year I noticed that icicles are starting to form on our wood siding. In particular, at the bottom of the siding. The location they are forming also appears to have a bit of visable wear on it as opposed to other parts of the siding. I thought this just may have been weather related wear but perhaps I was wrong. Any suggestions or thoughts on what may be happening here and who may be able to remedy this and how? Thank you in advance

Posts: 80 | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they forming on the bottom of the lower course of shingles or does it vary? Does the ice seem to be coming from water on the front of the shingles or does it appear that its coming from the backside of them?

Having ice on shingles is no big deal, unless the moisture that is forming them is coming from the backside of them. In that case you have water getting behind the siding and it needs to be corrected before any decay begins.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Solon Homeowner
posted Hide Post
I will have to take a closer look as to where the water is actually coming from. What sort of professional would make these repairs?

Posts: 80 | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would depend on where the water is coming from. A quality carpenter who does wood siding would be the person of choice.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there's no gutters and the waters splashing up on the siding, plan on some wood rot in that area. I see far to often where someone did not make the foundation high enough, or there just not enough over hang on the roof and the siding takes a beating. What we do is use Baur brand soild color stain and stain all the sides and any cuts on any siding being replaced. It stops the rot, never peels like paint does, looks just like the old paint, and stops the wood from cupping.
If the wood is to close to the ground we also remove the siding and add a strip of Storm and Ice shield to the bottom of the wall before residing.

Posts: 106 | Location: Hallieford VA | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post