Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Exterior Finishes    Replacement for missing asbestos siding
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for missing asbestos siding
 Login/Join 
posted
OK, here is my first post of many as I deal with my 81 year old home restoration on an extremely limited budget...

I have asbestos siding on the house, covering the original shakes and clapboards. Complete replacement is out of the question at this time due to budget constraints. The asbestos is in the form of approx. 30" x 12" (hard and brittle) shingles with a little "woodgrain" texture on them. I am quite familiar with all of the safety concerns of working with the asbestos. The fact of the matter is, asbesotos siding paints very well, and that'll have to do, for now.

I have a few areas where I need to replace missing shingles. I have heard that there is at least one manufacturer that offers a similar profile in a cement material. Can anyone provide me a name for these manufacturers?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Posts: 3 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a name right handy, but I did find them on the web about a year ago, using Google. I forget what I searched for, but just try the obvious phrases...I'm sure you'll find it. As I remember, they offered something like four different patterns. Good luck.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the problem with asbestor also. Some are gone and no one I ask knows how to fix the problem. Around the edge is my real problem. Does anyone know what the charge is to remove it?????????

Thanks
Gerri

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asbestos-containing products are considered hazardous waste in every state. Hazardous waste is highly regulated, with big fines attached to those who attempt to circumvent the proper disposal of these products. There are certified abatement contractors, registered with and regulated by the state, who will charge huge amounts to properly remove, bag-and-tag, and dispose of asbestos-containing products in highly regulated hazardous waste landfills. As the TV announcer said: "Don't try this at home, kids".

Posts: 105 | Location: West Haven, Conn. | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a company that makes a replacement. What I have seen is in the form of a hardboard masonite type material. Cast asbestos siding is not always considered a hazardous waste. Check with your state's environmental protection agency before being lured into the asbestos abatement contractor trap. Because it is not a friable material asbestos shingles and siding may be able to be disposed of in a regular landfill with certain precautions. Regulations vary from state to state. Certain landfills have their own local rules also. In Pennsylvania, cast asbestos is considered a non-friable material, and does not require a certified contractor to remove it. P.S. I have a current PA asbestos abatement contractor/supervisor certification.

Posts: 245 | Location: Annville, PA | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchase siding for my house from Cannon Supply in Greenville, SC. 864-269-2071. They sell it by the piece (about $7) or in packs of 18 (approx. $120). They will not ship because it is brittle.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GAF Manufactures a replacement for asbestos siding. It is called Weather Side fiber-cement siding. It is available in three different profiles, and several sizes. If it is not available in the exact size you need, it can be cut to size.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S. A. S. Contrracting
Thank you for your response to my search on how to fix my problem.

Gerri

posted Hide Post
In New York, if asbestos is removed by a contractor, it must be removed and disposed of by a certified asbestos removal contractor. However, it is my understanding that the law allows the homeowner himself to remove the asbestos, and he may place it in boxes at the curb for the local public works department to pick up and dispose of. Go figure.

The result of this law is that a lot of contractors work on certain weekends, and the following Monday morning, there are boxes of asbestos siding at the curb waiting to be collected by the town.

Just a coincidence, though.

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a big problem here in Virginia. Today I talked to 2 different contractor both said to cover it over with some other siding. I would really like to remove it. I have called state offices but so far know no more than I did in the beginning.
Thanks you for your help I'll just keep working on this.
Gerri

posted Hide Post
Tnx for the potential sources. We are in Western NC and attempting restoration of a 100+ year old school house. The wonderful lap board was covered over, or perhaps even torn off and then covered over with abestos siding in the '50's.. we've elected not to remove, altho were told by county officials that if we chose to dispose, we could just take to land fill. Suprise to us, but certainly a welcome one.
Greenville is less than 100 miles away, so will contact that source. There is some repair work on broken shingles, and I am sure we will manage to do more.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mason
posted Hide Post
Hi, your quote is below. I am renovating an old Tavern in Hainesport NJ--(30 min. outside Philly) built in 1923. Do you do work in NJ?
Consultaton or removal? Not sure what the laws are here but your post gave me hope it's not as bad as i might have thought.
dmason@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by Maintenance 6:
Yes, there is a company that makes a replacement. What I have seen is in the form of a hardboard masonite type material. Cast asbestos siding is not always considered a hazardous waste. Check with your state's environmental protection agency before being lured into the asbestos abatement contractor trap. Because it is not a friable material asbestos shingles and siding may be able to be disposed of in a regular landfill with certain precautions. Regulations vary from state to state. Certain landfills have their own local rules also. In Pennsylvania, cast asbestos is considered a non-friable material, and does not require a certified contractor to remove it. P.S. I have a current PA asbestos abatement contractor/supervisor certification.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I have the same problem but haven't been able to locate a manufacturer or supplier. Have you had any luck, if so, could you pass along the contact information for the source?

Thanks

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by yankeecap:
OK, here is my first post of many as I deal with my 81 year old home restoration on an extremely limited budget...

I have asbestos siding on the house, covering the original shakes and clapboards. Complete replacement is out of the question at this time due to budget constraints. The asbestos is in the form of approx. 30" x 12" (hard and brittle) shingles with a little "woodgrain" texture on them. I am quite familiar with all of the safety concerns of working with the asbestos. The fact of the matter is, asbesotos siding paints very well, and that'll have to do, for now.

I have a few areas where I need to replace missing shingles. I have heard that there is at least one manufacturer that offers a similar profile in a cement material. Can anyone provide me a name for these manufacturers?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Posts: 1 | Location: Eastern Shore Island | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought replacement asbestos shingles on e-bay. You may also try yard sales with houses that have these shingles~ they may have spares in their sheds, and not want them.

I've also heard of a fiberglass version that looks a lot like the asbestos shingles, but cannot find the manufacturer.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone removed asbestos shingles from a residence in NJ? Did you do it yourself or have a contractor do it? How big was the job and how much did they charge?
I am looking to reside a small house in Bergen cnty but some shingles are missing. I want to remove all of them to provide a uniform flat surface and less thickness around the windows.

Posts: 1 | Location: north NJ | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GAF Materials Corp. has a replacement fiber-cement siding shingle called WeatherSide that matches many of the profiles and styles of asbestos siding. They also carry the matching corners, white siding nails for them, and the backer strips. Their website is www.gaf.com for more product information. I believe you can Special Order the product at most Home Depot locations.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a old house built in 1913. I am in the process in residing and want the asbestos siding removed. I'm wondering if it's sellable and what the best way is to sell it.

Posts: 1 | Location: sioux falls, sd | Registered: 15 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your local Home Depot for replacement tiles (fiber-cement), they are a bit expensive but easier to purchase. Smiler

Posts: 1 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with Lowes. They have a shingle that is similar to the asbestos ones. concrete or something.
Asbestos is highly dangerous to your health.and I would use caution in removing it from the home.I think I would get a pro and remove it ASAP. Perhaps your local health department can tell you how to dispose od it since some facilities will not accept it.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 31 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may have changed, but inNew York, the policy was that a homeowner could remove asbestos himself, but if he paid someone to do it, it had to be a certified asbestos removal company. If he removed it himself, he could stack it in boxes at the curb and his town had to pick it up. The result was that normal everyday contractors removed it, but did it on a weekend, when no one would be looking, and left it in boxes at the curb. Go figure.