Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chipmunks
 Login/Join 
posted
We have chipmunks, the builder 15 yrs ago, built stone walls around the house and property. The chipmunks love it! They are making tunnels everywhere. I have removed the two bird feeders so they have no birdseed on the ground to feed on. We have tried fox pee with no success. Someone told me to try chocolate ex-lax, they will eat it, get dehydrated and die?? We had a new driveway put in 1 yr ago and it collappsed in one section, next day I saw a chipmunk poke it's head up through the tar. Is this possible?? We tried a professional, theres to many of them, the other houses in the area also have the stone walls and I have seen the chipmunks in their walls.

HELP!!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to KILL chipmunks??? What is this world coming to???

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a cat. Only way to control them.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chipmunks LIVE in the stone walls...what harm do they do there?

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have chipmunks. Lots of them.
They enjoy locating any rotten trim and trying to get into my walls.

When the population jumps, I put out a have-a-heart trap with peanut butter/bread. They walk in, I put them in trunk of car and we go for a drive into the deep woods (okay its a big park but it's far enough from people's houses).

I think the population has thinned. I no longer hear feet running in my walls. I have a cat (indoor) but a chipmunk would win that fight.

Advantage to transplanting rather than poison. They don't die and rot. Plus random pets are not poisoned.

I would recommend a cat if you like cats. Just the sight of the cat would discourage chipmunks and other critters. Good Luck!

Posts: 74 | Location: Slab House in Southern NH | Registered: 21 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great replys.
Yes chipmunks are cute but they're doing a lot of damage to my property. No damage to the stone wall...yet

I have two indoor cats, we have coyotes and foxes so my cats are not allowed out.

Thank goodness they're not in the walls of my house, no rotted wood on the house.
I'll try the transplanting and cross my fingers.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post