Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Exterior Finishes    Stucco look over brick???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stucco look over brick???
 Login/Join 
posted
What's the best (economical) way to give my brick home a stucco look? The brick is from 1967 and is in good shape. i don't necessarily need real stucco, but I want an economical way to give the house the stucco appearance.

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a word, stucco. Synthetic stucco costs as much or more as real stucco,

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts on painting the brick a stucco color?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use the right paint, it's not a bad idea. I happen to like painted brick. In colonial times, when bricks were very porous, they were almost always painted, to seal the outer surface.

However, today the opposite problem exists. We want moisture to be able to escape from within the wall, because today's face bricks are more weatherproof. There is a coating called "Acra-Lastic", which will repel water even from a fire hose, but will still allow moisture to pass through it and out of the wall. Normal paint will tend to blister and peel when there is moisture behind it trying to escape.

Acra-Lastic will last something like 15 years without recoating. It's made by MAB Paints in Pennsylvania. There may also be similar products by other manufacturers. The generic name is "acrylic latex elastomeric coating".

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify - you CAN use stucco over brick? We have just purchased a 35 yr old home, and I would like to get rid of some of the dark brick.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, stucco can be applied over brick. Metal lath is attached to the brick surface, and the normal three-coat process of stucco application follows.

Careful attention must be paid to the details at windows, doors and other openings, and weep holes in the bricks must somehow be extended through the stucco.

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I appreciate the advise! Have a good day.

posted Hide Post
Okay, so here is the next question.....can cultured stone be placed over bricks??? Thanks for your input!

posted Hide Post
Anyone??

Picture of pie2mats
posted Hide Post
i see you need some enlightenment over the matter, well check this out guys,
Brick has a nice appearance, but is more difficult to build. Stucco is easier to build and maintain, and will take a coat of paint nicely. If you live in an area that is prone to earthquakes, brick may not be a good option as it is less stable.
I prefer brick to stucco because stucco can break fairly easily and is hard to repair. Brick is easier to work with, is a better insulator,and is easy to repair.
in the long run ___it's your taste that has the final say right!___ check out this site if you want some visual to your taste guys... have a great time
www.besttorontostucco.com ---yipes mod alert!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post