Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caradco Wood Windows
 Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had a problem with Caradco Wood Windows rotting? If so, please contact me about a replacement/repair/correction or manufacturer's liability?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 16 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have an ongoing problem with Caradco, aluminum clad/wood casement windows and doors.
Our house was built in 1997.No obvious problem until 2004 when 2 of the kitchen windows fogged, then in 2006 the wood rotted thru on the inside of 2 of our patio windows due to lack of seal on the outside.Up to this point we have REPLACED 6 casement windows, and I have 6 replacement windows waiting to be installed.
Three days after the new replacement windows arrived, 2 more windows went! This year, 2010 so far I have had 5 window failures. Since we are over 10 years out we pay 50% + installation costs which at this point are in the thousands.
I have 16 more potential failures to deal with.
Any suggestions for dealing with Jeld-Wen to get replacements FOR FREE?
Thanks. Foggy-window Linda

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am trying to organize a Group to pursue the Caradco Wood Wind Rot Claims with Jeld-Wen... If interested, please contact me...

posted Hide Post
What happens to these windows is, the wood swells from dampness and causes the seal within the glass to split. That creates condensation between the glass, and a dark color often forms on the outside and transfers heat to the outside glass which is different from the inside glass. In my opinion, you don't want a CLAD style of window ever. Either buy all wood, all metal or all vinyl. Clad is a mix and that's why this occurs.

Atlanta Vinyl Windows

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does the wood swell from dampness? Have they not been sealed prior to painting?

posted Hide Post
Even though wood is the best insulator even treated it is still subject to the outside elements like the sun and humidity

atlanta vinyl windows

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had any issue with Caradco Wood Windows rotting.
-------------
wooden windows/

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously, as they say: "you are the exception rather than the rule"

posted Hide Post
I have 6 sets rotting, replaced 2 already. one is a triple casement. also 2 patio doors.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What has Jeld-Wen done for you?

posted Hide Post
nothing. been trying for 8 years, watching and looking for lawsuits, in the meantime replacing wnidows as needed

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can help! Contact me at mbo72227@hotmail.com ...

posted Hide Post
Yes... I can help everybody...