Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Framing    Frmaing for a Tray Ceiling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frmaing for a Tray Ceiling
 Login/Join 
posted
I am remodeling my kitchen and want to frame in a tray ceiling. It is a single story structure with lots of attic space above. The original ceiling was dropped to allow for lighting fixtures. The drop down is not structural and can be easily removed. I'm looking for information or a book or manual to help me learn how to do the framing. Any help will be appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All depends on what structure you have above.
If the kitchen is on the first floor of a 2 story house, then you would frame down to create a tray look.
If the kitchen is a one story appendage to a 2 story house and has a shed roof above, then you should be able to raise the ceiling to create a tray without a problem.
If the kitchen is one story with a roof above then you will have structural concerns. Depends on the snow load for your area, rafter size, span and pitch.

Posts: 29 | Location: Brookfield, CT | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of build4you
posted Hide Post
Currently, I don't think there are any publications out that will give the instruction needed to properly do the renovation framing necessary to carry the ceiling loads or that will guide in framing the tray ceiling. Depending on the type of tray you have in mind the framing can get quite complicated or if it's a simple flat side tray ceiling the framing is pretty straight forward. I reccomend contacting an engineer, architect, framing contractor, or building official to give you some guidance. Any fees related to advising you of your options will be nominal compared with correcting mistakes two days into the job.

Posts: 63 | Location: Farmville, VA | Registered: 15 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post