Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Framing    Floor Joist-How much weight can they support?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor Joist-How much weight can they support?
 Login/Join 
posted
I want to put a 175 gallon fish tank in my living room but I am not sure if the floor joists will support the weight. Wehn finished the tank will weigh 2,000-2500 pounds. Unfortunately the tank will run parallel with the beams(2x8) not perpendicular.

How can I figure out if the floor will support that weight or whether I need to reinforce the beams?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To do that, you need to know these things:
1. The size of the floor joists
2. The spacing of the floor joists
3. The spacies of wood of the floor joists
4. The span of the floor jpoists
5. The exact location of the fish tank
6. The manner by which the load of the tank is transferred to the floor...ie: four legs, or panels on two sides or four sides
7 If the tank will be near the end of the joists, and the joists are supported by a beam at that end, then you will also have to check the beam for its ability to carry the additional load also.

Seat of the pants tells me that the framing will have to be reinforced, but no way to suggest how, without knowing what is below. Probably the simplest method would be a jacking post and a piece of steel under the joists beneath the tank, but can't say more without seeing the conditions.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post