Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Framing    Garage door header
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door header
 Login/Join 
posted
I am installing a triple 2x8 header for an 8 foot wide garage door. This is in a non-load bearing wall being 2x6 framed to enclose an existing freestanding carport. The architect just specified "Frame down existing header" over the garage doors. The "existng header" is a double 2x12 beam supporting the gable roof.

This is an existing freestanding pole-barn carport supported by 6x6 posts every 10 feet. Each garage door will have a short section of new framed wall on one side (less than two feet, to bring the jamb in from the post on that side) installed over a new poured 9" curb to raise the framing above grad. There is a 6x6 post on the other side of each garage door.

How many trimmer studs do I need for the tripole 2x8 headers? Can I replace one trimmer stud on one side with a Simpson HH6 Header Hanger?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it sounds like you've already paid an architect to design this for you, you really should be asking him/her. That's what you paid them for.

General Contractor/Home Builder

Posts: 498 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post