Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Framing    Framing over basement blanket insulation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Framing over basement blanket insulation
 Login/Join 
posted
I am considering finishing my basement. Current status: We live in Western Maryland in a 2 yr old home with a walkout basement. The foundation walls are poured concrete and the builder installed blanket insulation over these walls. It's figerglass with a white coating ( vapor barrier I think). The exterior of the basement was sprayed with a black sealent before they backfilled. The exposed foundation ( it's a walk-out) it finished with paint, and the insulation is on all walls, both those exposed and those beneath grade.

My question is about how to best frame out the walls. Should I stand off the new walls away from the existing insultion ( makes the room just a bit smaller? Remove the existing insulation and just reinsulation with kraft paper covered insulation ( hate to tera down exisitng blanket unless I need to 0? Push new framing tight to exisitng blanket, nail through, and just add more insulation?. I'm assuming PT wod for the sill and untreated for the remainder

Any guidance would be welcomed. I've gotten a few different opinions so far.

Mike

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be fine either way. your not nailing trough it any way, frame a coventional wall system with bottom and top plate then if you feel the r value of existing insulation isnt great enough add more Tim; Rock Creek contractor service inc.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

Did you find any answer to your query. I have exact sam situation and would like to know what is best under these circumstances. I have read the new findings regarding vapor barrier and the recomendation is not to use it. My house is new and the basement is half finished. The part that the builder finished it, did not use a vapor barrier. That part is offcourse framed first and then batts installed.
This means we should cut the plastic sheet off of the insualation and frame right on top of it as you suggested by pressing it against the blanket.

Let me now what you found out about it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justcurious:
Hi Mike

Did you find any answer to your query. I have exact sam situation and would like to know what is best under these circumstances. I have read the new findings regarding vapor barrier and the recomendation is not to use it. My house is new and the basement is half finished. The part that the builder finished it, did not use a vapor barrier. That part is offcourse framed first and then batts installed.
This means we should cut the plastic sheet off of the insualation and frame right on top of it as you suggested by pressing it against the blanket.

Let me now what you found out about it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post