Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  ProZone  Hop To Forums  Design Ideas    Deck with a trap door leading to a bulkhead enterance to a basement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deck with a trap door leading to a bulkhead enterance to a basement
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have experience/information about building/designing a trap door on the floor of a deck that will lead down a set of stairs that was previously covered with a metal bulkhead door?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are trying to build a trap door on our deck with leads to the basement steps. What type of hinges or what do we do so that the hinges do not show on the floor of the deck?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out hinges and handles that are designed for boats. Usually flush with the surface (no tripping!) and will stand up to any weather without corrosion. Also consider not hinging it - just set it in place with recessed pull handles. I've done the access cover on a deck, but the area was small enough we didn't bother with hinges (it lead to a crawl space opening, not stairs). Stairs would require removal of more decking, so hinges and lifts become necessary if its going to be used for anything more often than once or twice a year.

Good luck, I'd also be interested in hearing about other solutions anyone comes up with.

Posts: 6 | Location: Temecula, CA | Registered: 29 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg petros:
Does anyone have experience/information about building/designing a trap door on the floor of a deck that will lead down a set of stairs that was previously covered with a metal bulkhead door?

This post is old but I am wondering if anyone has figured this out. I want to do away with my steel "bilco" doors so that I will be able to add a french door out of my kitchen and onto my patio where the Bilco doors are. I thought using the trap door system to gain access to the basement doors might be one solution, but I cannot figure out how to keep water out of the hole where the steps are. Has anyone done this or something similar?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a very common upgrade. There are a few ways to do this.
Depending on how high the deck is as compared to the top of the Bilco door is the steel doors can stay. This is the case in most of the installs. Reason being the top of the wall side of the Bilco doors typically does not go higher then the sill area in which the deck is fastened to. If you wish to have the deck lower then the sill area so you have a few steps down out of the back door to the deck. You can create a two tierd deck with the area by the Bilco doors being higher or high enough to clear the top of the basement door.
The bottom line is you keep the Bilco doors in place, create a hatch door to open to gain access to the Bilco door and build a hidden step to bring you down to the front of the Bilco door step area from the deck your building.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Renee W.:
We are trying to build a trap door on our deck with leads to the basement steps. What type of hinges or what do we do so that the hinges do not show on the floor of the deck?

WERE YOU ABLE TO FIND PROPER HINGES FOR YOUR DOOR? IF SO CAN YOU SHARE THAT INFORMATION WITH ME...THANX

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what type of hing you use, the barrel of the hinge will need to be flush with the top of the deck so you will see them.

A good quality Stainless door hinge will work fine. Just be sure you construct a good framework around the door and deck in which to fasten them. Do not attempt to fasten to the edge of the deck frame. They will pull out and fail.

Also a flush mounted pull handle will work for something to be able to pull door open as it will be heavy.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post