Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Foundation    lowering basement floor & bench footing technique
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lowering basement floor & bench footing technique
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm hoping somebody can provide advice with regards to "bench footing" technique.My current footing is 5" deep and extends 5" beyond my foundations walls which are double brick. My current cement floor is about 1.5" thick and rests directly on soil and sits on top of footing. I'd like to remove the old floor, create a bench on the existing footing, then add 3" gravel and 2" of cement floor.

Since I'm looking to add a total of 6" to my basement height, my bench would extend only 2" beyond my current footing (for total of 7" deep & 7" wide, with the concrete bench respecting the existing soil at 45deg). The new cement floor would start at the bottom of the new footing (7" below base of brick wall). Any issues with this approach?

Posts: 2 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have a few issues answered before I moved ahead with this. One being what is the current water table as this must be taken into consideration on new footing size, and what type of soil is the footing being placed upon. While your approach may be ok for one type of soil it may be way off for another. Whithout knowing soil, water and local requirements for this it would be only a guess if this method you suggested would be proper or not.

I am sure others that have a bit more experiance in this on this site will chime in, but I think they also will have some concerns in this area before they can offer sound advice on the topic.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks HomeCareClub or your input. I would appear to have sandy soil (i.e. moist soil doesn't really hold together). In terms of the water table, I have had effervescence/moisture issues with my existing cement floor. I previously had carpet directly on the floor but it molded. No evidence of water coming in the home, but we know that moisture seeped through floor. I recently had all my below-grade pipes replaced and a sump installed. When they were digging to replace the pipes, i could see some pooling water, but this was at least 1 foot or 2 below current floor.

Posts: 2 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post