Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Foundation    Lifting a Brick House for a new Foundation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifting a Brick House for a new Foundation.
 Login/Join 
posted
Lifting a Brick House for a new Foundation. Can it be done?

Nothing wrong with existing foundation, but am looking for more room. House is a 1300sf brick ranch on about a half acre. My existing foundation is currently a crawl space and I would like to replace the existing foundation with poored 9' walls. Ultimatly i would like to lift the house, remove old crawl space, poor new basement and drop the house back down, but leave the house 6" higher.

Never seen or herd of this being done to a brick house and was wondering if it is even possible. Another problem i see is that the fireplace/chemney currently rest on a slab in the garage.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of concretemasonry
posted Hide Post
It can be done. Just contact a reputable building mover/underpinner.

We just had an old brick church moved about 60 miles near here.

An underpin and new foundation is not out of the question and is a relatively common project. Just make sure the utilities (water, sewer, electrical , HVAC) are well thought out to minimize the cost and problems.

Posts: 172 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not consider building the space you need above ground? By the time you jack up the house, demolish the old foundation, reroute the utilities, excavate ánd build the new one, and replace the house and repair any damage, all you'll have is basement space, which will have cost you pretty much what an above ground addition of the same size would have, and won't add a penny to the value of your home!

Why have substandard space when you could have excellent space for the same dollars?

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have considered the option of just adding an addition, but would prefer to go down. I like the size of my lot and feel that i would loose to much if i where to add on to the existing house.

One option i am looking at is adding another stall to my current one stall attached garage. Behind the current garage is a utility room that i would like to remove and expand the house further out for a master bedroom/bath and utility room. With the addition i would want to put a basement under the new construction as well as add a basement under my current utility room thus only redoing 1/3 of my current foundation. My biggest problem with this option that you can only access the addition thru the kitchen and my wife hates the ideal of going thru the kitchen to access the master.

House is an L shape with the bottom of the L being the garage. This ideal would turn the house into a T.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lifting a Brick House for a new Foundation.

A house foundation repair can be accomplished. Before house foundation repairs are attempted, the soil around the foundation must be solid. Once the soil is good, you can plan how to the repair house foundation.

Source :
www.wolfehousebuildingmovers.com

Posts: 3 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post