Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Foundation    Finding spring water under land?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding spring water under land?
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at purchasing land for the first time, and found a nice 5 acre lot. Problem is, the house that is to the West of the lot has a basement where his sump pump runs every 7 minutes! However, the house to the East of the land has had no spring water problems at all.

The guy with the water problems says he ran into spring water either 7-8'. There is a house directly across the road, to the south, of the house with the spring water problem, and he ran into water about 20' down.

Now, my question, is there any way I can find out if there is spring water under the land before buying? The real estate agent has been useless, and I'm not willing to take a $20,000 gamble as I plan on having a fully furnished basement. I'm half tempted to get someone out there to drill down to just look. Any ideas?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can get permission from the land owner to dig, you can get down about 15 feet with a small tractor backhoe, which is a whole lot cheaper than drilling.

What is the elevation of "your" land relative to the one with the 7-minute sump pump? Higher? Level? I hope not lower...

If you dig a test pit, you'll want to dig it approximately in the place where you'd like to build your house. A few dozen feet can make a huge difference, I can tell you from experience.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say just from looking at it, that it's level. Right now it's crop land, so it may be seasonal as to when I can dig some holes. The lot we're looking at is rolling land, with a small ridge about smack-dab in the middle. This is where we had planned on building our house. My father was in the construction trade for 30 some-odd years, and could find a good building spot. Only thing that's holding us up now is the question of water. Now we can tell that the spring runs from the South to the North, and that the land directly to the South is much higher than the land to the North. So we know that the spring runs South to North, or vice versa, because the land to the South (that is much higher) ran into water about 20 feet down. The two houses we know who have run into water are directly across from each other also.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other consideration is to only go down about 5 feet with your basement. This should keep the floor above any ground water table, will make the issue of egress from the basement easier to deal with, and the house will look MUCH better being up out of the ground a bit.

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post