Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Trades and Specialties  Hop To Forums  HVAC    replacing baseboard heat covers...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

replacing baseboard heat covers...
 Login/Join 
posted
We have a 1958 townhouse with very ugly baseboard heat covers. The old homeowners used sheet metal and screws to patch them.

what options do we have for replacing them? We have researched some and it looks very expensive.

thanks
Mikeeee

Posts: 8 | Location: NW of Chicago | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a good chance that since the design dates to 1958, you won't be able to find replacement parts. One method is to relocate as many of the covers as you can from areas that are hidden behind furniture to places where they are seen. Or remove covers from one room to use as replacements and install new only in that room.

Posts: 245 | Location: Annville, PA | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The heat works great, but the radiators look terrible. 20 coats of paint, bent up, rookie repair jobs etc...

We are redoing the power room and need to cover a 3.5' baseboard radiator. So the radiant wrap would work, but to do the rest of the house is going to be about two thousand dollars!!

thanks for the link

Mikeeee

Posts: 8 | Location: NW of Chicago | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait to you price out the new baseboard with heating elements. Ouch. add to that labor and the issues with draining the system and then filling it back up. Many new covers will not support the older sized fins on old baseboard systems. So you would end up buying the whole cover and element. If you can measure the fin size and go to any quality heating supply company you may be able to find a blank cover that fits you pipes. This all takes time and cost money. The wraps may be a better choice after all.
Good luck.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cheapest way is probably to just paint them. The second least expensive way to rehabilitate those ugly baseboard heaters from 1958 is probably these guys: BaseboardHeaterCovers.com The part I like about this solution is that it doesn't involve any hired labor. DIY all the way.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paint them. First strip all the paint off if there is a lot. Then use spray paint to recoat them. Brushed paint although will work tends to be a little heavy while spray looks more like the original look.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also purchase custom wood covers. I ordered mine from baseboard covers site. They gave me a decent discount for purchasing multiples. I'm very pleased with my purchase!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also purchase custom wood covers. I ordered mine from baseboard covers site. They gave me a decent discount for purchasing multiples. I'm very pleased with my purchase!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks,
I was looking at building something. a nice wood frame and an inset decorative expanded steel.

but with the proper insulation now installed in the powder room... we did not even need a heater in there this winter. and it has been a cold winter in chicago this year.

MIkeeee