Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Interior Finishes    wallpaper on unpainted drywall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wallpaper on unpainted drywall
 Login/Join 
posted
How on earth do you get wallpaper off that has been put on unpainted drywall?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With great difficulty and limited success, sorry to say. It might be easier to laminate 3/8 drywall over the existing wall, adhered with construction adhesive.

You'll remember to prime it before putting up wallpaper, won't you?

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the people we bought the house from, not me. The good thing is it's only one room! The bad thing is I've already gouged the drywall getting frustrated! Is there ANYTHING to make it any easier?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low yield nuclear weapons?

Architect (NY) and Home Designer (PA)

Posts: 2870 | Location: Tobyhanna, PA | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big picture of magaritas <sigh>
No wait, I would then throw the limes at the wall in frustration.

A streamer (and paper tiger) didn't work?

Posts: 74 | Location: Slab House in Southern NH | Registered: 21 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most times wallpaper on raw drywall stays super tight. Why not leave it on and go over it? If you are going to paint, use a stain blocking primer like Kilz or Zinsser 123 to hide the pattern. If the seams show, trim them with a utility knife and skim coat them with drywall mud.

Posts: 245 | Location: Annville, PA | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patience and lotsa water. I have removed wallpaper from walls that weren't painted and it takes time but can be done. Buy a garden sprayer. Put down lotsa plastic sheeting on the floor unless you plan to rip out the carpet. Fill the sprayer with some detergent and warm water. Keep spraying the wallpaper. Keep going and going keeping it wet until it bubbles. You may need to score the wallpaper. Do this one section at a time so that while it is wet when it bubbles you can take a putty knife and scrap the wallpaper off. I won't lie - you are going to learn the fine art of skimcoating. It can't be helped. I would not paint over it though. At some point in its life the seams will start to show through the paint. When that happens you then must get paint and wallpaper off! Oh and when you do get the wallpaper off you may need to sand the glue off the wall. This can be done with a palm sander - just don't go crazy.

Good luck and stick with it. The margaritas might help considerably :-)

Posts: 48 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the wallpaper is tight to the wall, you can seal it with a product called guardz made by Zinsser. Two coats are best. Once sealed, you can patch any rough spots or skim coat the entire surface and nobody but you will ever know. Once skimmed, prime and paint. Good luck!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, I am having the exact same problem! There must be another way....there aren't enough marguaritas in the world. Please reply if you figured it out.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I literally just finished removing wallpaper from our 1/2 bath. I didn't know it was on untreated drywall until after I started so I felt like I was in for a penny, in for a pound. I had heard about using Dawn dish detergent mixed with water in a spray bottle so I figured it was worth a try. I scored the heck out of the vinyl paper with the Tiger tool and then started testing for the right blend of Dawn and water. Peeling the vinyl layer off exposed the paste part and once that was hit with the liquid it could be pushed up easily with a metal blade (do not use razor blades or plastic tools!). I still had trouble with a bit of drywall coming up here and there but nothing a little wall grout can't fix. The water/Dawn mix was about 75/25. No harsh chemicals. Now I need to really wipe down the walls to get rid of the soap residue but the paper is gone.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would have found using a plastic scraper would have damaged the wall much less then the metal one. The trick is to make sure everything is really wet before attempting to pull the paper off. The only real reason you would want to scrape is to remove the soften left over paste once the paper was removed.
But glad you had luck removing it. want to learn more? hometalk.com will provide you with all sorts of great advice on doing this type of renovation.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin Cartee
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had discovered that the in my home the wallpaper has been hung on unpainted gyprock.Is there a way to remove this without damaging the gyprock surface.Other than removing what are my other alternatives?

Usana new Zealand

Posts: 1 | Location: Woodview Dr Laurens, SC | Registered: 20 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may not be able to successfully remove this if the wall was not properly sized before the paper was put up. Check out www.hometalk.com for some ideas on how to fix this issue.

Posts: 1933 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

How to Remove Wallpaper From Unpainted Drywall. Improperly primed drywall may be severely damaged when removing wallpaper applied directly to the from wall.Can give me alternate solution of this problem?

Business Insurance

Posts: 1 | Location: 22335 Exploration Dr Ste 2025, Lexington Park, MD 20653 | Registered: 21 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of graeme labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Home Care Club LLC:
You may not be able to successfully remove this if the wall was not properly sized before the paper was put up. Check out www.hometalk.com for some ideas on how to fix this issue.

Is this really going to help us or just a useless site like you have provided..

Posts: 1 | Location: 410 S 3rd St, Yakima, WA 98901 | Registered: 20 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graeme labat:
quote:
Originally posted by The Home Care Club LLC:

Like the spam site you keep on trying to send people too. Get a life idiot.
Is this really going to help us or just a useless site like you have provided..