Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Interior Finishes    Painting/Glazing old Oak Cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting/Glazing old Oak Cabinets
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm trying to get some advice on painting and glazing my 17 year old Oak kitchen cabinets. I'm trying to achieve a cream base color with some taupe glaze highlights. Any advice on the best way to achieve that look on old cabinets? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Pam in Massachusetts

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these doors real wood or wood veneer? Make sure you prep the doors properly first......sanding and priming. Be careful sanding if they are veneer. I know oil based paints are not popular these days however it might be the best choice on cabinet doors to prevent peeling and cracking. When you mix your tint or paint with the glaze, the more glaze you use, the more your background color will come through. Experiment on some mock up boards to see how heavy you like the darker top glaze. Add more glaze to your color if you want it softer and more subtle. Good luck and let us know how they turn out.
Christy

www.inchanted-interiors.com

Posts: 33 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Christy - the doors are solid oak and the base and boxes are veneer so I have a mix. I'm going to take your advice and use an oil base and see if my husband will let me use his auto paint sprayer to get a better finish. My concern will be covering the veneer. I'll post a picture once they're done. Thanks again!
Pam

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pam

I would love to hear your comments as to painting the oak cabinets. As well, I have 17 yr old oak cabinets. I have hesitated painting, b/c I am uncertain whether the paint will cover the heavy oak grain.

Please advise

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrity is right- practice to achieve the finish you want -- Note to "SCD" - the grain of the oak will still be noticable - but that is not always a "bad" thing-- glazing can look really good over the paint, in that the glaze gets into the cracks (grain) and is darker there -- Again-- play with a sample before you begin, Remember, if using oil-based paint(alkyd and semi-gloss finish) - then you must use an oil-based glaze mix. I did a refinish on some cabinets using a "butterscotch" color with a "chocolate" glaze to complement the Southwestern theme of a kitchen/den. Another set was painted a soft beige with a taupe glaze. Made such a huge difference! Good Luck---

Posts: 58 | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI, I'd like to do the same with a red with a black glaze. Can you give me your idea of the best brand of paint and glaze to use on cabinets?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are getting ready to paint our old white-washed oak cabinets. Since you've already done a few sets of cabinets, I'm wondering if you could supply specific instructions on the steps you took to refinish the cabinets that you finished beige with a taupe glaze. Did you paint them and then wipe on and off a glaze on top of the paint? I wasn't sure the glaze would stick on top of the paint. Several people have suggested using a parafin wax underneath the paint in areas I'd like the glazed look to show, while others have suggested sanding...Would love to know how you accomplished the look. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Siber:
Chrity is right- practice to achieve the finish you want -- Note to "SCD" - the grain of the oak will still be noticable - but that is not always a "bad" thing-- glazing can look really good over the paint, in that the glaze gets into the cracks (grain) and is darker there -- Again-- play with a sample before you begin, Remember, if using oil-based paint(alkyd and semi-gloss finish) - then you must use an oil-based glaze mix. I did a refinish on some cabinets using a "butterscotch" color with a "chocolate" glaze to complement the Southwestern theme of a kitchen/den. Another set was painted a soft beige with a taupe glaze. Made such a huge difference! Good Luck---

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to paint my oak cabinets a distressed black with the edges faded. I did a sample and it looks great but I'm worried because I have white appliances and cant afford to replace them. Any ideas on whether it would look okay to leave them white or any inexpensive way to change their look?

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets a distressed black with wood molding accents. I have wood floors and white appliances. I have butcher block countertops which I may be able to change out. Is there any inexpensive way to make the appliances match?? and/or would it look too bad if I left the appliances white?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cindymay:
We are getting ready to paint our old white-washed oak cabinets. Since you've already done a few sets of cabinets, I'm wondering if you could supply specific instructions on the steps you took to refinish the cabinets that you finished beige with a taupe glaze. Did you paint them and then wipe on and off a glaze on top of the paint? I wasn't sure the glaze would stick on top of the paint. Several people have suggested using a parafin wax underneath the paint in areas I'd like the glazed look to show, while others have suggested sanding...Would love to know how you accomplished the look. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Siber:

How did they turn out? I am in the process of doing the same. Wood cabinets have been sanded, filled, primed and painted an almond white and now I want to finish off with a glaze effect in the indentations of the doors. Can I use the glaze without adding paint to it? Can I add to the area only or should the glaza be applied to the whole door. (I just want the honey affect of the glaze in the indentations..carving lines of the doors.) I could not find a reply to your question. Thanks for any help!

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you end up trying this? I have just moved into a house that has white appliance, I am not crazy about them but they are all new so I can't replace them. I have always had black appliances. My cabinets are a light stain, ugh, and I want to paint them.

quote:
Originally posted by kt:
I want to paint my oak cabinets a distressed black with the edges faded. I did a sample and it looks great but I'm worried because I have white appliances and cant afford to replace them. Any ideas on whether it would look okay to leave them white or any inexpensive way to change their look?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post