Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Interior Finishes    Removing glue from bamboo flooring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing glue from bamboo flooring
 Login/Join 
posted
We installed bamboo flooring using "Bostik's Best" glue and we ended up getting some on the top of the flooring. Two questions: Is there an easier glue to use (one not so thick and sticky) or is there an easier way to apply it (perhaps to the back of each piece instead of to the subfloor first) so as to not get it all over? Also, the can recommends getting it off the floor with mineral spirits but that doesn't seem to be working. Any other suggestions short of sanding it off and refinishing? Oh, third question: If we do end up sanding it off and refinishing, any suggestions as to good, satin like finishes, maybe even easy on the nose and environment? Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlooringCraftsman
posted Hide Post
Hey,

Wow, Major error on your part letting the Urathaine Glue cure on the face of the board.

Nothing you do will fix the floor. Take it from ME - Been there done that!

To fix it and make it look right.... My recomendation is Finish installing the floor Have a bunch of rags handy and dampen as needed. Install a couple of boards and then wipe. Drylay trouble areas then pull them out install and wipe. Tip: wear vinal gloves and change often keep that floor clean!

After your all done with the install. Call in a pro... Sorry this section is worth the doe.

He will smooth out the areas that have glue on them buy hand sanding or lightly scraping the spot Carfull not to drop below the pre-finish.
Hand sand again with some 220 smooth

Now he should buff with a conditioning & 240 pads or even a 220 screen the apply two coats of a commercial finish. My favorites. Bona traffic & Basic Coatings Street shoe in the finish you would like. Satin?

Have a party and a couple shots of Jack and tell your friends what excellent time you had on the flooring project you had... Smiler

Good luck and hope it turns out too the floor you dreamed of...

Posts: 18 | Location: Hebron NH | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After months of searching for products to remove the cured adhesive from our bamboo floors, I have found something that works after lots of testing and trial and error. The adhesive was Rogers and on the first few rows of flooring there was a significant amount of smudged adhesive (like fingerprints and small speckles) left on the surface of the bamboo. Since it is prefinished I was careful about using just anything. The mineral spirits only works effectively on wet adhesive. The professional brand adhesive removers did not work at all. After testing a few more unconventional products on inconspicuous areas, I've found that using "Goo Gone" and "Bon Ami" has been the only thing to effectively remove all traces of the adhesive. Use a small amount of each on a paper towel and gently rub with the grain over any trace of adhesive. Right away you will want to wipe off the mixture with a slightly damp towel and then thoroughly dry.(while water is not recommended for bamboo, only a small amount that is immediately dried worked well for me) Bon Ami is a mild abrasive that mixed with the Goo gone is just enough to do the trick. You may notice a slightly less shiny appearance after using this, however it is not enough that anyone but you would notice. Certainly much better than the smudged adhesive look. I hope this technique helps others- since I could not find any positive answers in all of the forums I searched. Good luck!

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My flooring installer used a latex ahesive form my bamboo flooring. He used 3M adhesive remover to clean up, but left a few spots. I am finding they come off easily with a dry scotch-brite no-scratch scour pad. The adhesive seems fairly crumbly and just a light buffing with the scour pad seems to remove it. If it were not latex based I might be having a different result, though.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The solution finder:
After months of searching for products to remove the cured adhesive from our bamboo floors, I have found something that works after lots of testing and trial and error. The adhesive was Rogers and on the first few rows of flooring there was a significant amount of smudged adhesive (like fingerprints and small speckles) left on the surface of the bamboo. Since it is prefinished I was careful about using just anything. The mineral spirits only works effectively on wet adhesive. The professional brand adhesive removers did not work at all. After testing a few more unconventional products on inconspicuous areas, I've found that using "Goo Gone" and "Bon Ami" has been the only thing to effectively remove all traces of the adhesive. Use a small amount of each on a paper towel and gently rub with the grain over any trace of adhesive. Right away you will want to wipe off the mixture with a slightly damp towel and then thoroughly dry.(while water is not recommended for bamboo, only a small amount that is immediately dried worked well for me) Bon Ami is a mild abrasive that mixed with the Goo gone is just enough to do the trick. You may notice a slightly less shiny appearance after using this, however it is not enough that anyone but you would notice. Certainly much better than the smudged adhesive look. I hope this technique helps others- since I could not find any positive answers in all of the forums I searched. Good luck!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 09 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post