Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Interior Finishes    Cement backer board over linoleum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cement backer board over linoleum
 Login/Join 
posted
Can I just put backer board over linoleum and then tile the backer board?? Or do I have to remove the linoleum.

Thanks

Troy

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The linoleum is probably glued over 1/4" underlayment if your lucky. Tear out the underlayment and your new finished floor will not be so high at the edges and look more natural in doors, etc.

I'm not a tile expert, but I inspected a house yesterday (12-26-06) where three tile floors (two baths and one kitchen) less than five years old had extensively cracked and popped tiles because the mortar was separating from the vinyl (you could see that through the holes in the loose tile). Do it right the first time.

InspectorMark

Posts: 87 | Location: OmahaNE | Registered: 26 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If height is not an issue,

you can trowel thinsest over linoleum
and screw 1/4" cement backerboard over.
Then tile

The thinset under backerboard fills any voids.
Follow instructions on sticker of backerboard for proper installation

Good Luck

Posts: 72 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post