Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Interior Finishes    How can I cover panelling without removing it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I cover panelling without removing it.
 Login/Join 
posted
I purchased an old house which has a lot of panelling. Under the panelling we found more panelling. Under that is wall paper and then plaster and lath. We have decided we want to paint the panelling. Do you know if there is a product we can put on before we paint so the lines will vanish?
Any suggestions welcome to save us a lot of work replacing all the walls.

Just another angel

Posts: 1 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always do a faux finish as I mentioned on another post about paneling. If you do this the grooves will not be as noticable. The texture of the paint you create will take away the focus on the grooves. You could always spackle the grooves and make sure it is all smooth but its much more work and still may not turn out right. I painted the paneling at my husbands karate school with a taupe and then I went over that with a glaze technique in green. It looks great. Let me know if youd like me to email you pics of it.
Christy

www.inchanted-interiors.com

Posts: 33 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are "underliners that can be put up like wall paper. Check with a real paint store like Sherwin- Williams. I think some of them can be painted over with out showing the seams. I have seen some that can be applied over concrete block walls. Unfortunatedly I can't give you a source.

Posts: 32 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was home-shopping recently and one house I saw had paneling that was painted an antique white color, and it actually looked really nice. It looked like real wood with a shabby-chic look. I'm not sure what your decor is, but consider it an inexpensive, easy option.

Posts: 2 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has wall paper that is thicker and made to cover paneling. It has a texture and can be painted. It's pretty sharp, saw it last night.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with AnotherSmith even though the easiest way would be to just paint over the paneling if you like that look. However, Loews and Home Depot both stock a very thick wall paper that is textured or has images of flowers or leaves that stand out a little from the paper. I saw a bedroom done with this paper and they painted it Sage from Sherman-Williams Paint Store. It is a very soft muted green color and you couldn't tell that it wasn't a normal wall. These rolls of paper are wider than wall paper and at least four or five times thicker. You will be amazed at the difference it will make in your home. Good luck and I hope you love the choice that you make.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 16 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am planning on covering dark paneling in my kitchen and would like to know what I can do especially since it is a heavily used room and not too big. I cook quite often and live in Kerrville where it can be quite humid at times. Will the brown bagging work for me or should I try something else?

belinda

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wallpaper Illusions
posted Hide Post
There is a product called PaperIllusion by Village that's great for covering paneling. It's a faux finish wallpaper that you tear into peices, dip into water and apply to the wall/paneling. I've hung it myself and its REALLY easy.

Carrie Wigal
http://www.wallpaperillusions.com/

Posts: 1 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a rental home. It's walls are covered with hideous, bowed panelling and the landlord will not permit us to paint or wallpaper. Beneath the panelling is cheap plasterboard, so he will not allow us to remove the panelling either. Does anyone have a creative suggestion for covering the panelling without damaging the panelling upon removal?

IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post