Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
    boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Design Ideas  Hop To Forums  Kitchens    Kitchen sink smells like rotten eggs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen sink smells like rotten eggs
 Login/Join 
posted
My mother's kitchen sink smells like rotten eggs when you turn on cold water only. Goose neck is clean. No other sink smells when you turn on cold water. Hot water is fine. New well-bladder tank. Can anyone help. Every plummer that has been called out says they don't know and ask for $65-$85 to come out We have even poured vinegar down the vent on the roof.
Thanks

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try removing the screen on the spout and see if it still smells. I've found that sometimes when you remove the screen the smell goes away. If that does it, then go and buy a whole new screen(screen and cap). Doesn't always work but give it a shot.

Adam
http://www.bragdoninsulation.com/

Posts: 171 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adam B.
I should have said the it's the water. Sink only smells when the cold water is running. My Mother has a new bladder tank in the well. The hot water doesn't smell.All the traps are clean and running water through them fine.
Jerri

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The screen im talking about is at the end of the spigot where the water runs through it. Its supposed to trap small pieces of dirt and what not and makes the water run smooth and uniformed. Remove that cap by unscrewing it. Make sure a towel or something is in the drain so you don't drop anything down it. Make sure the whole cap(screen, gasket, etc) comes out then run the water.

Adam
http://www.bragdoninsulation.com/

Posts: 171 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerri,

I have the same problem in my bathroom sink. The problem turned out to be a spring style door stopper and a small toy car droped down the drain by one of my grandchildren. I removed the trap (P Trap or Goose neck from underneath the sink and cleaned it. Then fished the items from the drain line just beyond the trap. Old items were building up and decaying in the drain but, allowing the water to drain. The decaying build up was causing the smell. Now every month I'll run a cup of bleach through the drains to help clean them and keep them smelling clean. However I do think I still have some other toys or mystery items in the drain because the smell will return after about three weeks. Good luck.
llentz4618@aol.com

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAME PROBLEM ONLY IT'S THE BATHROOM SINK !!!
PLEASE HELP !
I'VE HAD THE PLUMBER OUT ETC. TO CHANGE STEMS SUPPLY LINES ETC.
O'kay the water cold water line only in the bathroom and only in the sink stinks ! Nothing else anywhere else in the house smells. It has mystified plumber ! At least he pretends to be mystified ! Any idea on what is causing this and what can be done. His latest after replacing the stems and I think the hoses leading to the faucet is that it is the faucet, however I have this collection throughout the house in different models/types etc. Moen/Asceri. Job was crazy bathroom had a poured cement floor which had to be jackhammered and replaced. Makes me wonder if plumber knows what's up and won't really say. BASICALLY IF YOU SUSPECT A PROBLEM RELATED TO THIS I NEED A SOLUTION THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE A JACKHAMMER... WE HAVE A FILTER OUT AT THE WELL ALSO.

By the way tell me what you think about my mold/stink problem if you've got a minute.
I'm not too good at these things, but the aerator appears to be up inside it not just like the old screw off ones (Moen Asceri bathroom faucet)
One thing the plumber changed the faucet out for a couple of weeks when he changed the supply pipes etc. There was no stink, but I don't think my mother let it go long enough because after he changed the stems etc. the stink eventually came back when the old one was replaced. I don't think it is the drain, but we will look at that further. Her immediate conclusion lead him to the faucet is the problem. However that thing was expensive. I've got chrome Asceri stuff all over the house this is a widespread one. There is a 4 inch same kind chrome upstairs with no problem. We run the water in the cold water tap for awhile and the stink does go away, but we are embarrassed when company comes to wash their hands. Is there an under this cabinet only filter deal that could be installed and do you recommend it ? The whole house filter is changed regularly so that's not it. I would say it just plain stinks I can't give you a definitive answer on the smell. I think the plumber well mainly his helper that got fired may know what the deal is and it would be a **** ordeal to fix it. I mentioned jackhammers. This same guy that was fired installed the dishwasher. I'm looking at a solution without that. He is adamant on replacing the faucet, but I'm curious about a filter instead ?

Posts: 1 | Location: Glendon, NC | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband's grandfather had the same rotten egg smell in his water. It was caused by sulphur in the water. He had a water test done and then installed a purifier. It was in rural Ohio and many folks on wells there had the same problem. Any time there is something off about water, it's a good idea to have the water tested.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ellsworth, ME USA | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other thought, is that you may need to clean out the water system lines from the water heater with peroxide (at the heater nipples) and flush them of any nitrate buildup first. Just putting in the aluminum rod might not be enough.
As far as any shock chlorinating of your well, you may not want to as erring in this can be dangerous, let alone fatal. One has to have exacting calculations of output flow and this may involve costly expert supervision of the correction. And may well be totally unnecessary. I still think the first try for you would be changing out that hot water tank rod. Then take it from there. Yes, those whole house filtering systems and even the point(points) of us undersink filters can be overwhelming with the choices.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your water tests out hard, with iron, the anodized aluminum rod using potassium pellets as a TOP DRESSING on regular salt pellets should work. The postasium top dressing should constitute no more than 1/3 the SOFTNER fill capacity. I've done this before, with success in hard water systems, with iron/nitrates.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The postings of Fractal and sebbie appear to be where you should start, since you state that the odor comes at the cold water, not the hot. That you do not get the odor at other faucets may indicate that the first faucet in the plumbing network of the house is the one most often used, and where the odor is most noticable, and is bleeding off the malodorous water, so that it doesn't seem to be evident downstream from that point. Only after having had the water tested, with a comprehensive report as to its make-up, would I consider under-sink filters, water treatment, etc., since doing the latter without such direction would be nothing more than guessing. The report should not only give you an analysis of the problem(s), if any, but should point the way toward the solution., which can then be implemented methodically.

Although I am on municipal water, which tests out better than state mandated requirements, I have installed under-sink filtration at the kitchen sink, with a separate gooseneck tap, to take out the chlorine and other off-tastes, for drinking, cooking, coffee/tea, etc., since I don't like the taste of chlorinated coffee. Any such needs to be changed periodically, since the filter itself could become, over time, a concentrated source of bacterial contamination. Also, using the anode rod in the hot water heater tank will, acording to the manufacturers, significantly extend the life of the appliance, if done early enough in it's life cycle. And, keeping the drain lines clean and unobstructed will certainly prevent other unwanted problems, such as back-ups, flooding, foul odors, etc., and should be considered normal, routine maintenance.

Posts: 105 | Location: West Haven, Conn. | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am having the same problem with my bathroom sink and the kicker is that it is part of a double vanity and only one side has the smell. The other side is just fine. Also, it is not the first faucet in the line. I'm going to try replacing the screen and if that doesn't work, I may try replacing the faucet. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what that smells like. I had the same problem. Our house was on a community well and we had a water softener but that isn't the problem. It is in the hot water heater. There is a tube inside the water heater that needs to be removed. I called a plumber to do this. He did tell me that the water heater will no longer be under warranty but when that tube was gone the smell was also gone. Good luck.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You stated that you have a Moen faucet.
Try calling 1-800 buy moen. They have a good
R&D dept. and may have encountered this problem before. The customer service dept is very knowlegable and helpful.
leverne

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had that problem in my bathroom sink. Here's how I solved it. Unscrew the drain cap in the middle of your sink. You will be able to see down the drain. Then I took a scissors, or you can use a long tweezers, etc. and fished out old hair that had tangled in the drain along with other nasty stuff. It caused a bacteria to grow I guess. Now about once a month I just check for hair clogs. It doesn't clog the drain, so I had no idea the hair was there (I have fairly long hair). If you have two sinks in your bathroom and the one that smells is the one that someone with long hair uses to brush and dry their hair...that may be the problem. Then just fill the sink with a little water and a little bleach (1/4 cup orless) and open the drain. The water and bleach should kill any bacteria. You can use some white vinegar straight or lemon juice if you don't want to use bleach because of the type of countertop you have.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I purchased a new home with a well. The tank had a bladder system and the water smelled like rotten eggs. The way I solved this problem was by having the bladder tank replaced with one without a bladder. Worked like a charm.....odorless water!

Posts: 1 | Location: DeFuniak Springs, FL | Registered: 07 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remodeled my bathroom. Installed a new faucet, hoses, sinks, toilet, bathtub, etc. I've never noticed a rotten egg smell till this last week. I was reading everyones comments just now. I went into my bathroom and turned on the cold water and noticed the smell immediately. I then turned on the hot water, no smell. So, I have the rotten egg smell in the cold water only & I have city water. So, I think my problem seems to be the City Municipal Water System. So, I think I probably need to call the city & also get my water tested.
I noticed some people suggesting things about the hot water tank. It's coming directly from the cold water, so The HotWater tank has nothing to do with this problem if it's coming from the cold water tap.
If anyone finds out anything, please Post it..so we all can find a remedy. I'll do the same. Thanks. Have a great day eveyone.

posted Hide Post
Jerri & Whomever else is having the "Rotten Egg" Smell coming out of their cold water supply. I've just found the REMEDY. I called my local City Water Department & asked them what's up. They just told me that they need to go to the nearest Water Hydrant to my home and open it up and flush out the system. That after they do this, then I need to flush out My Home Lines as well & this should take care of the problem. So, Jerri & everyone else that has this problem that is on City Water, call your City Water Dept. & see if this helps. If it does, Please let me know. Thanks for everyone's Input, especially Sebbie. I used your advice & I appreciate it. Have a Great Day guys n gals.

posted Hide Post
I have had the rotten egg smell at two different homes. Both times the problem started after installing new bath faucet which included new drain pieces. One home had a single sink and the the other was a double. In the double sink case only one sink has the strong smell but both develop mold and slim build up on the drain pieces. The reason only one sink smells might be because one is closer to to the vent pipe connection.
In both cases the products were Moen faucets. I believe the cause is the quick growth of slim and mold growing on gray plastic part included with the new faucets. I have found that cleaning the underside of the drain stopper and the tail piece (all gray in color) with an old tooth brush fixed the problem for about a month or so.
When I have taken the drains apart I found only the gray plastic pieces had growth while all white PVC pieces remained clean.
Cleaning the mentioned parts I think is only a work around fix. The only real fix will have to come from the faucet manufactures in new materials.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried filtering the incoming cold water?

Posts: 82 | Registered: 31 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check that the drain isn't leaking and the potable water line doesn't make contact. plastic water lines will sometimes transfer the contaminants in.
You can get a carbon filter for the sink only ,smaller than a whole house filter
Have the water tested you may have to replace a part of the line if it is only contaminated in one area. and need to find the cause .
------------------------------------------------
Is there a hydrent close to the Kitchen sink check that there is NO hose connected and going to a water trough or into a ditch or any old standing water. As that may siphon the old water back into the house drinking water.
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 20 | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post