Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Mechanical    louvered door on furnace room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

louvered door on furnace room
 Login/Join 
posted
We have a utility room on our ground floor which contains the furnace, water heater and a few feet of storage room. It currently has a louvered door. Do we have to have a louvered door for ventilation or other reasons or can we replace it with a panelled interior door. I would appreciate any help on this.

thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KDEEM, I agree with you wanting to change that usually ugly louvered door, however if you have a gas furnace and water heater it does require ventilation. If you want to change to a paneled door, maybe you could add one or two decorative (wood)thru wall louvers near the storage area of the room for ventilation. I don't know what your adjoining rooms are but thats what I did to the laundry room and it looks fine.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm in a townhouse and this "utility room" is a section spaced off from my living space. My husband was wondering if vents up by the ceiling would work...they would blend in with the heating/AC vents. Any idea how much venting in needed?

Picture of Inside Out Home Inspector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kdeem:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm in a townhouse and this "utility room" is a section spaced off from my living space. My husband was wondering if vents up by the ceiling would work...they would blend in with the heating/AC vents. Any idea how much venting in needed?

Building codes require proper ventilation. Your safest forum would be a call to your county building inspector. After all, you've paid for the call with your property taxes. You can also consult with a licensed, insured HVAC professional.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
excellent advise! Thanks so much!

posted Hide Post
We just encountered this problem yesterday when the county inspector came to inspect the gas clothes dryer that we are having installed. He told us that for ventilation we either had to have a fully louvered door or two 12x12inch vents in the wall (one near the floor and another near the ceiling).

Posts: 1 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post