Message Boards

Guidelines
  • 1) Before posting a message, please be sure you are in the appropriate category.
  • 2) No advertising is allowed on HGTVPro's Message Boards.
  • 3) Off-topic and off-color postings will be deleted at our discretion.
  • 4) Please be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • 5) Posts containing certain words will trigger moderation of the post, whether words are contained in the post or in the signature line. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are TOTALLY off the topic covered by HGTVPro.
HGTVRemodels fans: Beginning November 4, the Message Boards will no longer be a feature of HGTVRemodels.com. You can still join the conversation and connect with fellow fans on our Facebook page. Just visit Facebook.com/HGTVRemodels to get started. Thank you for making this community a rewarding and inspiring experience for so many years.

boards.hgtvremodels.com    HGTVRemodels Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Best Practices  Hop To Forums  Mechanical    Placing plumbing on an outside wall? Good or Bad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Placing plumbing on an outside wall? Good or Bad?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hey! any plumbers out there because I've just had my plumbing overhauled with copper and the hot and cold water returns were placed in my floor instead of the wall where they were before. Question: Was that necessary given the old galvanized plumbing was coming through the wall before? I asked the plumbing company who did the job and he told me that the reason they moved the lines under thefloor was because the Indiana code is that it should be done that way when the returns are near and outside wall where the cold can freeze and burst the plumbing. Is this true or is this a ploy to keep from putting inside the wall? HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi housewife:

I built my house including plumbing and electrical and passed inspection. I'm in Canada however and your codes are likely different. However, on my outside walls where water lines occurred I put them inside the house(warm side that is). Regardless of any extra cost this is always the wisest thing to do. Less heartache downstream.

Good luck

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done plumbing work to my home, recently installing an addition which added a shower stall. All plumbing was added to either interior walls or in the floor (we tore out the ceiling under the bath to have full access to add new drains, new pipes, etc.) I'm in MI and the inspector said this was the way to do it. It prevents problems with freezing, etc.
Good luck

Posts: 27 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post